As Christians we profess to be believers in Christ and followers of Christ. Believing in Christ entails knowing about the nature and character of God and following Christ entails knowing how to obey God. To both know and follow Christ, Christians rely on the words written in the Bible.
Everything in the Bible is true and it includes everything God has chosen to reveal to us about himself.
But the Bible is a huge book. It takes time and commitment to “get through” the Scriptures.
Many do not read through the Bible because they have no idea where to start. Reading through the entire Bible can be a daunting task.
However, all of the Bible is God’s Word and as such, God can speak to you at any moment through any passage of Scripture that you read.
This year, I want to encourage you to take the time to read through the entire Bible.
Before starting this task, here are a few words of advice:
- Take it one day at a time. Do not feel like you have to read until your eyeballs explode each day.
- Set aside a specific time to do your reading. Having a schedule will be very helpful.
- Remember that reading the Bible is both for knowledge and for spiritual nourishment. Read the Bible to get a better understanding of the text and to have a deeper relationship with God.
Reading the Bible can also be scary because there are so many translations and because some are hard to understand. Mardel has put together a nice guide for translations. This shows the reading level and style of each version. Using this guide will help you pick a translation to read that will be easier to understand and that will help set you up for success in the reading plan.
To read through the Bible in a year, there are several good programs that can help you in the journey.
One good way to read through the Bible in a year is to follow the Bible project outline: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/tbp-wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/RS_Reading-Plan_2017.pdf
This outline breaks the Bible into 16 parts and then gives readings for each day.
Here is a video to explain how the process works!!
But reading the Bible in this manner may not be for everyone.
Sometimes people have a difficult time remembering what they have read. Some people are audible learners. Another way to read through the Bible in a year is to listen to the Bible.
The English Standard Version has a very nice dramatized audio recording of the text. This text is on Amazon and is free to download or stream.
Whether you choose to read or listen to the Bible. Listening to God’s Word daily has some very important benefits.
- It draws us closer to the Lord.
- It helps us to hear God’s convictions on our hearts because his convictions are always in line with his Word.
- It helps us see the story of creation, fall, and redemption in light of human history.
- It helps us to see how God began working to rescue his creation even before the first act of sinful rebellion.
- Reading the Bible makes us aware of the stories of people God used to prepare the way for the Messiah (Jesus) and to spread the Gospel of God’s Kingdom to the World.
- It reminds us that God uses ordinary people with the same kinds of problems that we have to do extraordinary things for his glory.
So this year as you think about what it means to be a Christian and what it means to hold to the Christian faith, be sure to do so without neglecting God’s Word. Take the time to read through Scripture. Allow that time to help you draw closer to God in your spiritual walk of faith.